U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Newbie Gum fun Continued

Re: Newbie Gum fun Continued

On Apr 23, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Katharine Thayer wrote:
Try cutting your lamp black by half by adding more gum; if you still get a dark black where you want a dark black but no staining, then the staining was probably due to too much pigment rather than insufficient sizing. I've got an example on my website that shows the difference between way too much lamp black and half that much, if you want to compare what you're observing:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/stain.html
As to stain and overexposure sometimes getting confused, I've been saying for years that people sometimes make that mistake, but it's actually quite easy to tell them apart by leaving it in water overnight. If there's an image in the morning, then it was overexposure; if what you have is still edge to edge color, then it's stain, as in the example of extreme stain I showed on the above page. You only get that kind of overall heavy stain with extreme overpigmentation, but beginners often do overpigment to that extent, especially when using lamp black.
kt