U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Q FOR THE OPTICAL GENIUSES

Re: Q FOR THE OPTICAL GENIUSES

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Q FOR THE OPTICAL GENIUSES
  • From: sam wang <stwang@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:50:42 -0400

Hello Bob,

One of the resident optical geniuses is off to a photo trip in Spain (Sandy), so I'll try to answer instead.

The Dagor is sharp, but its coverage is what gave it special reputation. At your bellows draw, you would be using just the center of the image circle. So, the APO is probably the one to use.

Have you thought of capturing your subjects with your scanner? Here is an article about the folks at the Smithsonian doing just that with spectacular results:
http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2007/may/creamer.php

You can then make digital negatives of any size, for pt/pd, cyanotype, gum, or whatever.

Sam Wang