U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Q FOR THE OPTICAL GENIUSES

Re: Q FOR THE OPTICAL GENIUSES

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Q FOR THE OPTICAL GENIUSES
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:10:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 6:42 AM
Subject: Q FOR THE OPTICAL GENIUSES

DEAR LIST,
This is for those who REALLY know their optics.
I have a 210 mm Goertz gold dot Dagor and a 210 mm Schneider Apo
lens. I want to do some EXTREME close up photos of dried leaves, seeds, et
alia, on 8X10 to make contact PT/PD (see it IS on topic). I know that both
of these lenses will cover the 8X10 format at this bellows extension and I
am using this focal length to keep from having to stretch my bellow as much
as I would with a longer focal length lens.
**********NOW MY QUESTION: Which of these two lenses would give me better
results in terms of detail and contrast at this magnification (between 5X
and 10X)?
CHEERS!
BOB

Please check my website: http://www.bobkiss.com/

Its guess work without testing, however, the Dagor is completely symmetrical so it is optimum at equal subject and film distance, i.e., unity magnification. If the Schneider lens is an APO-Symmar, its optimised for infinity. The Dagor will be similar to a process lens, that is, optimised for around 5:1 to 1:5. The Gold Dot series of Dagors are coated and have only four glass air surfaces so they have very low flare. The Schneider lens has more surfaces but is probably multi-coated.
Be careful of blur due to diffraction at small stops, remember that the _effective_ stop at close distances is smaller than at infinity. This affects diffraction blur as well as exposure.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com