From: david drake [mailto:daviddrakephoto@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 3:26 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: VDB nasty staining problem

Loris, thanks for your comments. I haven't received anything from anyone
else.
I have been using the toner one shot (as Sandy King recommends). I'm
making large prints (14x20") which require aprox. 140 ml per print of
toner.
I do also use plain sodium thiosulphate as fixer. I'm assuming that when
you say sodium thiosulphate 'toner' you meant that you didn't use toner?
The gold/thiourea toner I'm using includes some sodium chloride (5
gm/250 ml toner) which perhaps works to balance out the acidity?
But you have a very good point. I will try washing for longer between
toner and fixer.
This is the toner formula that I am using:

Gold chloride (1% solution)- 12 ml
Thiourea (1% solution)- 12 ml
Tartaric acid (10% solution) - 12 ml
Sodium chloride - 5 gm
Distilled water to make 250 ml.

I am also going to try different paper today and other combinations to
try and narrow down this rather upsetting development.
thanks Loris,
david