U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: VDB nasty staining problem

Re: VDB nasty staining problem

David,

The first VDB demonstration I ever saw was done under red safelight from coating through fixing.  I took care to do VDB like that for years.  Then, after being booted from a community darkroom one afternoon just as I was about to process some exposed VDBs, I resorted to processing them under fluorescent lights in an adjacent lab.  They didn't fog or stain.  I've since coated and processed hundreds of VDBs in that room with no ill effects from the lights.  Your fluorescent lights could fog, but mine don't.  My guess is it is your water or perhaps some sort of contamination from a tray, etc.

The only staining/fog I've ever experienced with VDB was due to using a selenium-sulfide toner (Polytoner).  I have had discolored areas from not having the emulsion fully dried, but the borax-gold or thiourea-gold toners that I use have never caused a problem.  I use two initial 2% citric acid baths followed by a rinse of several minutes, fix in two 2% hypo baths for 1.5 minutes each, rinse again, then tone, HCA and wash.

If you wish to take a look at a toning test I ran a couple years back, a link follows.  I compared no toning to selenium, Polytoner and Clerc's thiourea-gold toner both before and after fixing.  Be forewarned it is a picture of a naked lady in the woods.

Joe