U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: photopolymer

Re: photopolymer

Hi Mark and Erie,

Yeah, this is a bit over my head.  I'm mostly regurgitating what the tech and sales people have told me with regards to the rez of these screens.

I'll send you Peter's info off list Mark.  I'm sure he'd be able to answer your question better than I.

Cheers,
Jon

Ender100@aol.com wrote:
Erie,

Thanks for the note.

An imagesetter would need a 16 x 16 matrix for 256 tones.  If the imagesetter is set to a native resolution of 1800 dpi, then the file would have to be 112.5 ppi = 1800/16.  If it is set to 2450, it would be 153.125 ppi or lpi = 2450/16.

This is assuming they aren't using some algorythm with a variable dot size.

This is why I was confused with Jon's note regarding a comparison of the different screens:

"
The basic difference between
the finer one I use and Dan's/Elizabeth's is that the pattern with
theirs is visible to the naked eye. Mine just looks like a dark grey
translucent screen. I'd guestimate theirs to be somewhere on the order
of 150-200 dpi compared to the 1800-2540 dpi screens I've been using.
 "

Jon,  If you have Peter Elsey's current email address, could you send it to me off list?

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson

Precision Digital Negatives - The System
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com