U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: photopolymer

Re: photopolymer

going from memory is a bad thing, especially when you haven't thought about it in many years.

erie

Ender100@aol.com wrote:
Erie,

Thanks for the note.
An imagesetter would need a 16 x 16 matrix for 256 tones. If the imagesetter is set to a native resolution of 1800 dpi, then the file would have to be 112.5 ppi = 1800/16. If it is set to 2450, it would be 153.125 ppi or lpi = 2450/16.

This is assuming they aren't using some algorythm with a variable dot size.

This is why I was confused with Jon's note regarding a comparison of the different screens:

" The basic difference between
the finer one I use and Dan's/Elizabeth's is that the pattern with
theirs is visible to the naked eye. Mine just looks like a dark grey
translucent screen. I'd guestimate theirs to be somewhere on the order
of 150-200 dpi compared to the 1800-2540 dpi screens I've been using. "

Jon, If you have Peter Elsey's current email address, could you send it to me off list?

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson

Precision Digital Negatives - The System <http://www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com/>
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com <http://www.markinelsonphoto.com/>