U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: epson 2400 smudging

Re: epson 2400 smudging

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: epson 2400 smudging
  • From: SusanV <susanvoss3@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 20:27:46 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;b=BZBuJ6j5UcW7um24IKFYdTgoCciqgJS7JpEyu4g7yt3VjpLAcOo/hP9tjUHS8i/yh+AbkTycEFGT9wSN6C3VLUvS+XeuMTfQVPnJxrQWK1J1u2j6ykGFvtbY9s7NkziXAqR3bsAOPDHJGVQWEQ2YV52KsudikTTdODYAXK4WNwY=

I have an Epson 1280, and it started smearing ink a while back.  I
googled around and found the site fixyourownprinter.com, and there
found instructions for cleaning the bottom of the print head assembly.
It involved (after unplugging the printer!), releasing the printhead
so that it could travel back and forth freely, then placing cut stips
of coffee filters under the area where the head travelled.  The
filters had been wet with steaming hot distilled water.  When I moved
the head assembly back and forth across the filters, a huge amount of
gunk (link, and dried ink mostly), was cleaned off the bottom.  The
process involved replacing the filters and continuing until they
stayed clean as the head moved across.

The instructions I found were specific to the 1280, but perhaps you
can find a similar instruction online... it really worked well for me.

(And now I am fanatical about keeping the dust cover on the thing!)

Also... yes, do run the alignment with whatever substrate you are using.

Good luck,
Susan