U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gord &Rick's pinhole altprocess workshop

Re: Gord &Rick's pinhole altprocess workshop

Good luck  with your workshop Gord!

In a message dated 5/17/07 5:19:07 PM, gordon.holtslander@usask.ca writes:

Hi:

Since were talking about workshops I'm going to toot my own horn ...

My friend Rick Retzlaff and myself teach a workshop on pinhole cameras and
alternative processes.

I don't think anyone on this list would be interested in attending, but I am
very happy with the workshop.  Its intended to introduce people to
photography, or at least a different style of photography, by providing them
with a very inexpensive and accessible technique.  I think it works very
well.

We teach people how to make and use large format pinhole cameras - we have
them make negatives 8x10 and up.

We then introduce participants to alternative processes using cyanotype and
vandyke brown.  The participants use the negative made with the pinhole
cameras.  We chose these processes because they are fairly easy and they
print out.  We get participants to expose their prints in the sun using a
simple hinged back printing frame.

We did the workshop last summer and are doing it again this year - its been
added to the  University of Saskatchewan Certificate of Art and Design
Program

People leave the workshop with the ability to make large archival, and
hopefully worthwhile images, without having to invest a lot of money in high
tech expensive equipment.

A few high school art instructors attended last years workshop.  At least one
of them is now teaching pinhole alt-process as part of the high school art
program.

A poster is here: http://homepage.usask.ca/~gjh289/pinholeposter2007.pdf

Gord

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson

Precision Digital Negatives - The System
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.