U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Phil Davis

Re: Phil Davis

Thanks Sam for posting this.

And thanks to Sam, I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Phil Davis at his home a few years ago.  Phil was delightful to talk to and he showed us a number of his prints.  I might add that he was playing with Photoshop on a computer when we arrived.  Martha, his delightful wife, fed us some wonderful oatmeal cookies all afternoon and even sent a bag of them home with us.

Phil's book, Beyond the Zone System, was brilliant.  I have a dog eared copy in the other room.  I know he had quite an effect on the work of thousands of photographers.  Phil was also a great friend and mentor to Dick Arentz.

I was honored to have Phil read my book on PDN for technical accuracy prior to publishing it.  I remember telling Dick Arentz that I was sending a manuscript of the book to Phil to read.  Dick said "Oh my gosh, you didn't do that did you? Phil hates digital!"  hehehehe I later spoke with Phil by phone and he enjoyed the book and was intrigued by it.  He was a delightful man to talk to.

We'll miss him and his genius.

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson

Precision Digital Negatives - The System
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com