U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Old carbon tissue

Old carbon tissue

Can somebody give me some advice.
I was trying to print carbon prints using B&S tissue. I have made carbon prints before, but I am not an experienced printer, as a matter of fact I am totally intimidated by the process.  Here is what my problem was yesterday. I exposed, soaked the tissue and mated it to the final support. The tissue and the suppot were very hard to separate. (i need to mention this is a single transfer process, from tissue to the final support). AT 105F and 10 min soak I could not get them apart. That was one ruined print. I then tried 110 and 120F soak and could not get the gelatine to soften to get a nice separation of the tissue. On top of that the development was very slow and I kep raising water temperature for development as well. I kept cutting exposue  as I was getting all hardened gelatine and almost no image. I ended with 1 min BL exposure time (this is a very short exposure), but did not end up with a decent image. AT that point I ran out of sensitised tissue and decided to quit for the day. ANy suggestions? DOes carbon tissue go bad on storage and how would I recognise it?
Marek M

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place!