U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Xrya Film and Pyrocat

Re: Xrya Film and Pyrocat

Title: Re: Xrya Film and Pyrocat
Sure. You can decrease contrast with the same development time by using a weaker dilution, say 1:1:200 in place of 1:1:100. Or, you can decrease contrast with the 1:1:100 dilution by reducing time of development.

However, I find it very difficult to believe that a development time of 8 minutes with the 1:1:100 dilution is giving negatives of too much contrast for VDB and salted paper. In my own experience it would take a dilution of 2:2:100 and a time of 15-18 minutes to get enough contrast for  VDB or salted paper, even with films like FP4+ or TMY that develop contrast quickly.

Bear in mind, for best results VDB  and salted paper need a negative DR of over log 2.7. No well in hell to get that with any pictorial film with the 1:1:100 dilution and 8 minutes of development. To be real clear, it won't happen!!!

Sandy King