U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Bichromate Print Clearing Question

Re: Gum Bichromate Print Clearing Question

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Bruce Campbell wrote:

Hi list.

I am just beginning to make some gum prints and have a question concerning print clearing.

I know some folks clear their prints in either a 1% up to 5% solution of potassium metabisulphite for 2 to 5 minutes. My question is, do you agitate your print while its in this solution or do you just let it soak.
Hi Bruce, My experience is that in gum clearing, as in life, it never hurts to agitate a little, though gently is quite sufficient, in gum anyway. I myself however, rather than do it strictly by time, would do it by eye. When it's paper white... enough. And I would also give a plain water rinse at the end.

Then again I wouldn't use a clearing bath at all unless I saw visible stain.. which is most likely (IME) in weather like this.

Judy

"[Read My T-shirt] for President... A True History of the Political Front and Back," by Judy Seigel

"I'd recommend it for a Pulitzer Price except I lack the credentials."

www.frontandbackpress.com