U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Shooting long range negs?

Re: Shooting long range negs?

I second Sandy's recommendation of a staining developer. I've been using Pyrocat (PC, but the original HD version would work just as well) with the Foma 200 recently, and I'm finding that it will develop to a high contrast range. I do find that it is much slower than 200, though. I actually rate it, for a normal negative, at about 90. I don't have a lot of experience with the film, but I see enough to hope that it's going to be a winner.
juan

Sandy King wrote:

Ross,

I don't know Fomapan 200 but Kodak TXP is not a good film for salted paper. You would be much better off with TMAX-400 or Ilford FP4+.

Also, I would suggest the use of a staining developer as the stain will give a big boost to the overall contrast of your negatives since stain density blocks UV light.

Chris Anderson's comments about sizing and fog are very appropriate. Salted paper is very sensitive to both and results can be very ugly if you don't pay attention to detail.

Sandy King