U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT: Facebook WAS OT: HDR and Tone Mapping B&W Images

Re: OT: Facebook WAS OT: HDR and Tone Mapping B&W Images

Yes you do, with some caveats.

1)  The maximum image size they display on-site is less than 640x480 (604 pixels is the maximum vertically). So, I always upload images no larger than that.  What little promotional use they can get out of small imagery like that is fine for me,.

2)  The use they put it to MUST be in connection with the site or its promotion.

3)  Sublicenses would be subject to the very restrictions of item #2.

4)  So, they could only sell small versions of the imagery (or crappy blowups) for those purposes, even if their license allows sale (see item #6).

5)  Finally, they only have a use license, not a transfer of copyright.

6)  Absent an explicit grant of rights to sale, they cannot sell the images even with the terms of that license. The license itself only grants the right to sublicense (probably so they don't face potential suit if they outsource ad work to sub-contractors).

7)  It's a non-exclusive license. (see item #5)

Jeremy Moore wrote:
66575de70708150811p7bc4f4a5nf441179a07d98e0b@mail.gmail.com" type="cite">
Bruce and for anyone else using Facebook I would like to point you to
this section of their terms of use:

"By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically
grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant,
to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable,
fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use,
copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt
(in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose
on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare
derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User
Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing."

Basically, by uploading anything to Facebook you give them all rights
to use it however they want to including selling it.

-Jeremy-