U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT: HDR and Tone Mapping B&W Images

Re: OT: HDR and Tone Mapping B&W Images

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the questions and thanks for the compliment.

Let me try to answer your questions:

> Assuming the photos shown were sent to Camera Arts as digital files, how
>> large were those files? And if you wanted to make actual prints (in
>> color), could you?  By inkjet? Or?

Magazines will ask for CMYK (if they are smart) or RGB files at a
specific size (expressed in inches in the U.S.) and resolution. 300 ppi
(pixels per inch) is a common request when the publication is being
printed at 150 lpi (lines per inch).

I do print these images as inkjet prints. Without getting into the whole
editioning logic or pretense, I'm doing two sizes of prints: 12"x18" on
17"x22" Crane Museo Max paper and 20"x30" prints on 24"x36" Crane Museo
paper. The reason for two different papers is one of convenience; the
papers come precut to those sizes, but not in one paper surface. Jill
and I both like the sheets because they are so wonderfully heavy (360
gsm). In fact, the paper is so heavy that it can't be rolled.

>> Naturally I think about translation into gum prints via color
>> separations.
>> Would color-separating your finished HDR file be different from simply
>> making different coats from different color seps without the intermediary
>> HDR? Or, it occurs to me, maybe gum printers who do about 20 coats have
>> done HDR, so to speak, already?

Having never done gum I'm sorta guessing but it seems that, once you
have your final HDR image on your computer monitor, the gum separations
would be the same as for any other image. It seems that you gum printers
have all sorts of tricks up your coating sleeves but controlling dynamic
range is something that you'd approach well before the coating stage IMHO.

>> Last question: why is the process "off topic"?  Isn't it "alternative
>> photography"?. (Whatever you call it, thanks and congratulations --
>> they're great !)

Well, the original poster (Don) was probably trying to be polite to
those who take great offense at being tricked into reading text that
doesn't relate to their areas of interest. One person's *alt* is
another's *mainstream.*

Happy printing, Judy! When are you gonna take the train up to visit us?

Dan

--
www.DanBurkholder.com
www.TinyTutorials.com