U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: First layer...

Re: First layer...

I was waiting to respond to this great demonstration til I could get down to my workshop and find my prints on the old Artistico paper, but when I finally got down there, I can't find that folder of examples of prints on a lot of different papers (I've recently moved and things aren't all unpacked yet.)

The reason I wanted to look at that paper is that I remembered it having more surface texture than this; I suspect the paper has changed substantially from my old paper of the same name.

The gum print itself is a good illustration of a point I was making on hybridphoto.com the other day about tonality being a function of the coating mix, particularly the pigment concentration. This shows so well how a medium to light pigment mix does very nice tonal gradation but doesn't give much DMax. For comparison, here's a heavier (but not heaviest possible) mix of the same pigment, ivory black. The DMax is darker and the tonal gradation isn't bad in the shadows and midtones, but jumpy in the highlights. This is a function of the pigment mix, not of the negative. A print of the same negative on a lighter pigment mix gives smoother gradations in the highlights but not as dark DMax. Like I always say, in any one gum layer, you can have drama or subtlety, but not both.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/kids.html

Thanks for showing,
Katharine