U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: ferro vs ferri

Re: ferro vs ferri

I've already wrote about this in the past. Search the archive
for more info.

"Potassium hexacyanoferrate" is an incomplete description of
the compound. There is "potassium hexacyanoferrate (II)" and
"potassium hexacyanoferrate (III)." The old name for the
former is potassium ferrOcyanide and the latter potassium
ferrIcyanide. They have different oxidation numbers of the
iron and they behave differently. For all practical purposes,
regard them as different chemicals. The one that makes
prussian blue pigment when free ferric ion is present is the
former, hexacyanoferrate (II). The one that has strong
oxidizing power and often used as a bleach is the latter,
hexacyanoferrate (III).

I see no availability problem for these chemicals. It's just
that a lot of alternative process literatures continue to use
old nomenclature made obsolete in chemistry and the rest of
the world is moving forward.

Generally cyano ligands are tightly bound to the iron in these
compounds, but they can be liberated and give off toxic
cyanide gas when mixed with strong acids or exposed to UV
irradiation. This type of agents are removed from color film
and print processing, decades ago, and all emulsion
manufacturers in the western economy block claim that they are
also eliminated from commercial emulsion manufacturing,
although they are frequently used in emulsion research and
also described very heavily in patent literature. (The
quantity used in emulsion making is quite small anyway, not
like those used in color processing decades ago.)

I believe that the use of "potassium ferricyanide" or
potassium hexacyanoferrate (III) as a bleaching agent in
black-and-white darkroom work should be made obsolete,
especially because there are a number of alternative compounds
that work well as a b&w bleach and present much less
environmental damage. Actually there are a range of agents
that work from mild to strong bleach, depending on the
application. The only difference I can see is that ... they
cost a couple pennies more. However, the market for these is
quite small and no one (so far) wants to make a b&w bleach
(even after seeing the success of Silvergrain products) and
most authors are not updating their books to include new
recommendations... furthermore, my website is now gone and so
is my place to promote new technology... oh well.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
http://silvergrain.org