From: Gordon Cooper [mailto:nwlorax@comcast.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 3:55 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: Merits and Demerits of Salted vs. VDB

Sandy King wrote:
> At 9:16 AM -0600 9/1/07, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
>>
>> However, in my packet of step wedges and test prints and tonal
>> palettes printed in both, I notice that there is a fading and
>> yellowing and mottling in the VDB packet I do not see in salt. The
>> salt prints look exactly like they did the day I made them.  In the
>> troubleshooting section of my VDB chapter (Alt Proc Condensed) I have
>> a quote from Mike Ware via Wynn White: "Most sources state that
>> Vandyke prints can be cleared in plain water.  In Mike Ware's
>> description of the argyrotype process he explains the problems
>> iron-based silver processes have.  If processed in an alkaline
>> solution residual ferric iron is left in the print which will
>> eventually cause it to fade since iron (III) will oxidize silver."
>>

>> Chris
>>

> There are two important steps that if carried out will dramatically
> improve the quality of VDB prints. The first is to make absolutely
> sure that the first wash is carried out in water that is slightly
> acidic. If the water is alkaline iron hydroxide will be set in the
> paper and this can can be removed in subsequent processing. However,
> don't make the first bath too acidic because it might bleach the silver.
>
> Second, bite the money bullet and buy some noble metal solution (gold,
> pallaidum or platinum) and tone the print before fixing. This will
> eliminate bleaching and give you the deepest possible shadow values.
>
> Sandy King

I use a platinum toner after an acidified wash. An important factor is
the quality of the rinse water My apartment's water supply is through
50+ year old steel pipes. I have had bits of iron from this stick to my
VDB papers while rinsing. I have gone to the use of distilled or
de-ionized water for all of my process steps. Expensive, but consistency
counts for a lot.

Gordon Cooper
Bremerton, WA