U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | NARA Guidelines

NARA Guidelines

As some of you may be aware I'm not a big fan of digital imaging. That said I pass on this link to the NARA document "Technical Guidelines for Digitizing Archival Materials for Electronic Access: Creation of Production Master Files - Raster Images." FWIW the caveat to the document merits a quick review:

"The NARA Technical Guidelines for Digitizing Archival Materials for Electronic Access define approaches for creating digital surrogates for facilitating access and reproduction; they are not considered appropriate for preservation reformatting to create digital surrogates that will replace original records."

Happy camping, I hope LABOR DAY was as good for you as it was for me.

-greg schmitz <gws1 "at" columbia.edu>