U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: shrinking Masa

RE: shrinking Masa

Hi Rajul, what happened? Did you get milder / no registration problems
or are you completely free of them?

BTW, the tests / prints I shared before were all made on pre-shrinked
paper. I was still getting to much size variation / no perfect
registration.

I don't soak Masa paper more than 5-10 minutes since it's so thin and
gets thorougly wet in just few moments.

My understanding of shrinking is to let the paper absorb as much water
as it can (in other words saturate it) and then dry it. I don't think
that any paper would benefit a soak more than 30 minutes unless it's
extremely heavy (such as > 282lbs / 600gsm) and / or is heavily sized.
BTW, I don't understand why people pre-shrink in hot water and/or for
hours -> that would be harmful to the original sizing!? Of course I may
be completely wrong here -> I'm sure someone will correct me and/or
explain why they're doing so...