U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: shrinking Masa

RE: shrinking Masa

Hi Alberto,

Original sizing holding the fibers makes sense, thanks much!

But if original sizing is already holding them in the same position
relative to other fibers, why bother with them? Don't we just need cold
(room temp.) water take care of those which are not so tightly bound to
go on? That would be my take...

You're right about gum stretching the paper further more; when I look at
the back of print I made on 300gsm Artistico (pretty strong paper!) in
oblique light, I can clearly define the black borders and densest part
of the image as protrusions - this definitely shows that gum stretches
paper even more after it's dry... What I was surprised about is the fact
that you can't see this relief effect on the image side, it's just on
the back side (unlike carbon prints). The only effect you see on the
image side is the gloss in the shadows...