U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re.alt exhibit and definition of alt photo

Re.alt exhibit and definition of alt photo

Hi Ya Folks,
                     First.
No Gum prints present at THE exhibition??!! Could this have something to do
with the petrification experienced by many students  and teachers who have
decided not to risk contamination from Ammonium Dichromate etc., substances
especially in a class situation where I have found it more difficult to
control. Working in ones own personal environment is a different matter.
Long live GUM.
                  Second.
 Up until the fifties, or thereabouts, photographers made pictures by
various processes which we all know well from the past. Then, and I suspect
mainly for commercial and promotional reasons the term, ''alternative
photography'', started being used and authors started compiling chapters
from all the original books on all the old processes, repackaging them into
new books and publishing them. AS IF IT WAS SOMETHING NEW.
           Roger, you must remember those far off days, not so long ago. A great friend of mine who is now over the age of ninety, laughed, when, yesterday,
I inadvertantly mentioned Gum to him as an alternative process. Then he
asked if it was the same process as Heinrich Khun used when he knew him,
personally, way back in Gemany in the twenties. I apologized to Charles and told him the sooner he gets a computer and gets on the List the quicker we shall all see that the phoney terminology is almost taking control of our thoughts and intentions.
                      BTW, Charles now has a laptop, recently acquired, and
is learning to use email and the Internet, so WATCH OUT, yo' all !
               Any more over nineties, out there, doing gum bichro pictures?
          Any more for any more. Come on, come on.
Have a jolly nice weekend. Mean it , mean it!!
John - Photographist - London - UK