U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: alt exhibit

Re: alt exhibit

I don't disagree; it's kind of like glass half full or glass half empty. I suppose, if truth be told, I look at it from where I stand with both feet planted well inside alternative processes, and see everything else as "outside." :--)

I didn't mean positive and negative definitions in terms of value judgment, assigning good and bad connotations to the definitions; I only meant positive and negative in the sense of positive space vs. negative space. ...the difference between identifying "alternative processes" as a thing in and of itself, vs identifying "alternative processes" as everything that's not mainstream, as the negative space around mainstream photography. All I was saying is that I identify alternative processes the first way rather than the second way, but that's not to say my way of looking at it is the only way or even a majority way of looking at it; I suspect the other way, of seeing it as whatever's non-mainstream, is more widespread.

I do agree that inkjet prints don't really belong under "alternative processes." I only meant that once I understood the definition of "alternative" for the purpose of the show, it made more sense to me that there would be inkjet prints in the show, because the call for work identified images made with a holga camera or a pinhole camera as examples of "alternative processes" with no requirement that these images be printed in some non-mainstream or traditionally alternative process.

Nice to have some dialogue going; are we the only ones here?

Katharine