U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: shrinking Masa

RE: shrinking Masa

Hi Rajul,

Since I currently print small (around 16 x 24cm, 6 5/16 x 9 7/16") and
my subject matter is often very detailed and textured, even the
slightest registration problem is disappointing to me. If I were
printing large (>= 30 x 40cm / 11 13/16 x 15 12/16" that is) that
wouldn't bother me at all, but it does now... Maybe I should leave back
my urge for detail and sharpness when doing gums - but I'm not ready to
give up yet.

I apply the adhesive only to Yupo by means of two perpendicular coats. I
tape Yupo to a larger scrap sheet tacked to the wall, spray, quickly
untape it and put it down onto Masa laying on its front (back surface
looking up - I lower Yupo onto Masa a la Albumen, by bending it) and
press it with my palm (starting from the middle, towards the edges and
corners). The whole operation (including taping) does not take more than
30 - 45 seconds. I use the paper the next day. If Yupo is too costly you
can do it on alternative substrate such as Mylar. (Maybe that would be
better, since UV won't reflect back from the base; I had to cut exposure
by 1/3 stop, for paper affixed to Yupo...)

Good luck!