U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Rubbing alcohol = Isopropyl alcohol? Acetic acid?

Re: Rubbing alcohol = Isopropyl alcohol? Acetic acid?

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Rubbing alcohol = Isopropyl alcohol? Acetic acid?
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 03:48:45 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

     At least in the USA the container must say what is in it. Most rubbing alcohol is just 70% Isopropyl but some has Oil of Wintergreen in it. Its marked that way and is often colored green. Many drugstores carry 91% Isopropyl and some 99+% percent. Isopropyl will absorb water from the air but reaches equilibrium at about 91%. Kodak currently recommends 99+% for cleaning negatives.
     Note that some rubbing alcohol is Ethyl alcohol, usually marked as such but its denatured with something, often Methyl alcohol, to make it undrinkable.
     When I can't find 99% at the drugstore I get it at Fry's the computer and electronics store.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com