U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Masa examples from Rajul

Re: Masa examples from Rajul

Alberto, I was hoping Rajul would chime in right away with fuller explanations to add to the basic information I put on the page, but while she's unavailable I'll offer these paragraphs that she sent along with the images. I hope she won't mind, as I had the impression she sent the information to be used on the page if I chose:

"As you showed earlier, printing on the S (smooth) side produces darker prints than on the R (rough) side. This can work both ways in that hilites have an advantage on S prints; however, to get them to print on the R surface, one simply increases the exposure by about 10-20%. Shadows do not get blocked up on the R surface. Thus, it is best to use both sides in printing up a file, and select the one that best represents the subject.

The horizontal bands you see in FC270-4 S [that would be the top right image, on smooth Masa] are due to the Masa having detached from the clear acetate support. Also visible is some crinkling which reinforces the crumbling structure.

The FC270/13 prints [bottom row] were derived thus: Gum > cyano > gum > size > 3 gum passages. The R version got one additional gum pass.

Thus, Masa mounted on a support becomes very sturdy indeed. Problems arise from its detachment from the support. I now pay more attention to ensuring good adhesion along all sides.

All these prints have a lovely shine to them. I will try to enhance this by application of a coat of water-based polyurethane or wax."

I was in a hurry when I posted the link and didn't think to add how much I appreciate Rajul showing these and how much I like the delicate effect from the buildup of many thin layers of gum.

Katharine