U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: orotone

RE: orotone

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: orotone
  • From: Robert <rc3@flash.net>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:44:02 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=flash.net;h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:From:To:References:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:In-Reply-To:X-MimeOLE;b=vTY1vE4IDfXIak0ISX7d+XbmWn8q7K7BBEeuOFJcpzuNcrC34j9SkkdZzdjkj106nlvecY78JLjMwooumD/dYb6jq5pvAfHD4Xy8UnBxyG65QaCN6k+9VesovvhbqEusgn+T/K457CVMsV0tUGLCb7N93zfQRHCzQlqD4d8Y0xQ= ;

I will try to explain how they are made. Bear in mind I am still refining
the process. I have not found a lot of information through my search. There
is some in the wet plate forum. The orotone is a projected image onto a
glass plate using the standard collodion for a positive image. I use a zone
6 cold light and expose for 30 sec to a minute with my lens open to f5.6. I
dilute my developer (positive developer with sugar) 2to1 and develop for 60
seconds'

Fix the plate wash it. Next bleach it then tone or intensifying with sodium
sulfate this gives the shadows rather than the highlights brown scale or
tint, the toning is giving me the most problems and I am slowly getting the
right dilution.

Dry plate and vanish it. Take second glass plate and brush on gold leaf
paint. (I pour the paint) The paint that works for me is the one that has a
black tinted binder for the metal in the gold leaf, Metal is probably brass
and copper. This seems to be key to what Curtis did. Black matrix and metal
gives the effect of grain

Place the positive image plate against the gold leaf plate. I hot glue the
edges to bond it.

Best regards,
Robert Cockrell