U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: My two color carbon

RE: My two color carbon

These were made without negatives. Just various plants placed on the sensitized plates (back exposure). The density of the plant material is so high that it blocks a lot of light. It is typical to have very little tonal values in this situation. To get some tonality I was playing with scatterd light by moving plants away from the glass. My exposures were quite long, 8 to 12 minutes.
The idea of having two different color layers of carbon on the same plate worked quite well. Full exposure has hardened both color layers and partial exposure only one layer, so the top layer could be washed away. The two separate colours used are visible at the edges.  Next thing is to expose some negatives. I am hoping for some nice duotone transitions from highlight to shadows.
Marek