U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Toned cyanotype query

RE: Toned cyanotype query

Linda,

A few years ago I did some extensive tests on toning cyanotype. I tried a number of toners but found
only two that produced pleasing tones. Most of the others resulted in "muddy" images or caused a contrast  reduction that was undesirable.

First: The following toning bath is toxic so wear gloves,  but it tones cyanotype to a deep ultramarie blue:
5 gm lead acetate dissolved in 100 cc water. Immerse the print and leave it until you like the tone. Wash.

The second process I have named Seigel Toning after Judy Seigel who discovered it. It results in
beautiful lavender and brown split tones with cyanotype. It is a little tricky but can produce some
beautiful cyanotypes.

Solution A: 1 teaspoon of tannic acid to 1 liter of water.
Solution B: 2 teaspoons of sodium carbonate in 1 liter of water.

Start with a dry print. Immerse it in solution A for about 2 min. Then rinse in clear water for about a minute.
Now put the print in solution B.. This is where the color happens. Watch carefully! If you want a split tone, snatch the print out before it gets to the color you want. Now wash the print thoroughly.

I have made some wonderful cyanotypes using Seigel Toning and I highly recommend it to you.
I you ask nicely, Judy may even give you some additional hints.

Good luck and keep printing!

Bob Schramm

This toning process tends to bleach the print slightly so start with a slightly darker print.

Check out my web page at: http://www.SchrammStudio.com