U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Toned cyanotype query-reply to Judy

RE: Toned cyanotype query-reply to Judy

Dear Judy,

IME, New Cyanotype is practically as simple as Traditional Cyanotype. In
fact, I had more failures with Classic Cyanotype than with New Cyanotype
(staining and/or low dmax because of bleeding, fogging and/or grainy
results <- those last ones were mostly when I was double coating for
better dmax... ect. ect.), in other words my success ratio was (and is
still) higher with New Cyanotype, really...

Preparing the New Cyanotype sensitizer may not be as easy as preparing
the Traditional Cyanotype sensitizer but the difference is marginal /
purely academic. Preparation of the New sensitizer is no harder than
cooking any dish (except for omelette maybe - unless you aren't using a
teflon pan) and/or making coffe. In fact, I find cooking much harder
than mixing New Cyanotype sensitizer (and once mixed, it's easier to use
- since there's only one bottle of solution -> as simple as it can be).
Then there's this "toxicity" issue (which of course you didn't
mentioned, but I nevertheless want to touch on this too), which is also
a purely marginal / academic one too -> moreso for anyone who would
prefer the greater latitude of gum (= thousands times more dichromate
usage).

Straight New Cyanotype is indeed picky about paper -> but as Christina
mentioned before, this is not something that doesn't have a workaround
as simple as adding few drops of 40% citric acid into the coating
solution (a drop per 10 drops of coating solution in my practice). On
the other hand, when someone decides to spend their precious time and
labor (I think many will agree that this possibly the most expensive
type of investment in our age) in making fine alt-process prints, I
think they should choose the best paper available to them along with the
best method to create their vision / achieve their goal...

BTW, New Cyanotype is a very good paper purity tester; you can buy any
paper that works well with New Cyanotype with ultimate confidence and
use it with more costly iron processes such as Pt/Pd later... I simply
reject the idea of putting money on any paper that doesn't work well
with New Cyanotype (except for ultra-cheap Masa paper - which is fine
for many other processes and purposes).

Best regards,