U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Further along the salt road - Potassium Dichromate

Further along the salt road - Potassium Dichromate

  • To: Alternative Photo <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
  • Subject: Further along the salt road - Potassium Dichromate
  • From: Ross Chambers <maelduin@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 17:14:28 +1100

I'm starting to improve my prints and one new factor is the addition of
potassium dichromate to the salting solution.

The Formulary hand out for their POP kit which uses a salt print formula
advises that, of a solution of 30ml water and 2 gm potassium dichromate, 3
drops added to 28 ml of salting solution will noticeably increase contrast
and that more can be used.

I have tried up to 4 drops with OK results.

My question: are there adverse reactions from an excess of p. dichromate?
Faults to look for?

BTW a skilled Pt PD printer (who uses a staining developer as I have [once!
more to come]) examined my recent negs and put them through a densitometer,
pronouncing them to be suitable, so I'm not hoping for Band Aid effects from
the P.Dichromate.

I have a vague memory of a contra-indication re P. Dichromate, other than
its well-known toxicity to most life forms.

Regards - Ross
Ross Chambers
Blue Mountains
New South Wales