U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Re:

Re: Re:

----- Original Message ----- From: "jfulton" <jfulton@sfai.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 3:45 PM
Subject: Re:

Scott:
I'm sure Richard or Ryuji will know far more than I . . but it is primarily a concentrated alum and used as the hardener in fixing baths. From being an outdoors-man one can use it as a flocculating agent to clarify water:
1. treat water with concentrated chlorine crystals and wait overnight, and in the morning it'll be VERY chlorine smelling
2. pour in a concentrated form of hydrogen peroxide such as used in hair salons (BUT beware as it can BURN or oxide your skin) until the
chlorine odor is gone . . you can put in a bit more and it'll make the water kinda effervescent
3. add a tsp of so of aluminum sulfate and the flocculating (causing to form into clumps) aspect of it will take any of the portions, say, of
algae or particulant matter and drop it to the bottom and/or make it/them easy to filter out.

It is quite astringent and you might've come across in the form of a styptic pencil if you cut yourself shaving.

Cheers
Jack

BTW, I not in the same class as Ryuji. I have a rudimentary knowledge of photographic chemistry, I think his is profound.
The "alum" used in most hardening fixers is potassium aluminum sulfate, that sounds like the stuff above. Its also known as white alum. So called chrome alum is also used occasionally. The alum in the name comes from the similar use as a photographic hardener to white alum but it is potassium chromium sulfate and has no aluminum in it.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com