U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: F295 Symposium Question

Re: F295 Symposium Question

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: F295 Symposium Question
  • From: Bruce Campbell <brucerccampbell@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:47:33 -0800 (PST)

Mary

Thanks for the insight.  It sounds like you had a great time. I have signed up for the f295 symposium but am trying to get a better appreciation on is it worth it and what the workshops may entail.

Bruce

Mary Donato <gneissgirl@icehouse.net> wrote:
Hi Bruce and everyone,
I'm a relatively new lurker on this forum, but I've been active on
the f295 list for quite a while. I attended the symposium in
Pittsburgh last year, and had a great time. I'm not sure I can
provide more information than is already available at www.f295.org,
but the diversity of attendees made for an interesting mix. Tom
Persinger (f295 forum founder and site manager) pretty much
singlehandedly arranged all aspects of the symposium, workshops, and
speakers (an excellent mix, IMHO) for the "sit-down" part of the
symposium held at Carnegie Mellon University. At the end of the first
afternoon there was a spontaneous image-sharing "event" that was
really fun. People had brought all kinds of images to "show and tell"
and everyone gathered on the stage and laid their stuff out for all
to see. Lots of alternative process prints there! Next year that
spontaneous happening will be a scheduled event, because it was such
a hit the first time. I participated in the Cyanotype Rex workshop,
and I thought the locations and facilities of the workshops were
fantastic (in that case, Pittsburgh Filmmakers provided space and
will again next year). The last day of the symposium was Worldwide
Pinhole Day, and a group of people met to walk around the South Side
and shoot pinhole cameras. As a displaced Easterner, I enjoyed
visiting Pittsburgh. It's a very cool city with loads of arts stuff
happening, and a vibrant downtown and eclectic South Side. It was
sure fun the first time and I'm planning to attend next year (I
hope). It's not just about lensless photography, it's about many
other "Alternative and Adaptive Photographic Processes" too. I
encourage you to check it out!
Cheers,
Mary in Boise, ID
(gneissgirl on f295)