U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Eau de Javel if you are interested.

Eau de Javel if you are interested.

For what it is worth--eau de Javel (one "l" is the correct spelling so the article says) is said to be 4 g. sodium carbonate and 3 g. sodium hypochlorite mixed each separately with a bit of water and then combined in a total water amount of 500ml. This was used to develop "direct carbon" prints or paper such as Fresson, Arvel, Artigue, also a couple "direct carbon" papers from Germany (Hochheimer-Gummidruckpapier and Buhler's direct carbon paper). These are prints made with gelatin, not gum. This is with a 6 min sun exposure in summer, a 2-3% pot bi sensitizer. Eau was put in a tray and print face down in it.This comes from a 1943 article in the BJP. I am going back through about 200 sources I have on gum and this doesn't apply to me per se but thought someone might have use for it before I toss it.

Alas, still no vernis soehnee to be found in all my sources....

Back to work...
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
Assistant Professor