To: "The List" <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 2:29 PM
Subject: The Fresson / Arvel Process,Etc., and Eau de Javelle

Chris and ALL,
Chris, you thought, '' So if one mixed a little washing soda into the bleach it should approximate Javelle''.
NO ! !
Please note that only one ounce of KoCl (bleach ) is diluted with 36 ounces of water to give a working solution which is Eau de Javelle for the Fresson / Arvel process.

Happy hunting .

John - Photographist - London - UK

To clarify a little further and to quote the next para in Nadeau's, ''Gum Dichromate.'' 1987. Page 76 Chapter V1:-

''Mouret, mentioning the work of Charles W . Miller writes :

''Early in the morning, he places a piece of sensitized Fresson paper in contact with a paper negative outside of the window, and leaves it there all day long without the least inspection. In the evening, he transfers the paper into the cold water bath for 4 minutes and then into another tray containing a mixture of 1 ounce of Javelle water and 3 6 ounces of ordinary tap water. Now the paper must be watched very carefully, and as soon as the edges begin to lighten it must be instantly removed and placed either on a glass or tin plate, or in an empty tray. It may now be sprayed carefully under the tap, or better with the aid of a rubber hose carrying a glass or hard rubber tip, to enable the operator to direct a fine jet of water just at the point where it is momentarily required. The entire surface must be treated in this fashion, until the desired degree of density has been reached, whereupon the picture may be hung up for drying.''

Charles M. Mouret. ''The Fresson Direct Carbon Printing Process'', The American Annual of Photography. (1929 ) pp 179 -182 ''