U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Application

Re: Gum Application

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Jacek wrote:

I'm having a tough time applying gum on my paper with brushing. I keep getting streaks. I've read some people use photoflo, alcohol or everclear to get a smooth consistent coating, do you use any of these? Anyone use the Richeson 9010 Brushes or Flat Wash, Badger Softner brushes?
Jacek, If you go to www.alternativephotography.com/books/js_post_factory.html you'll find Issue #1 of Post-Factory Photography in its entirety, which you can download as a pdf and print out for free. Among other "facts, secrets, commentary," etc, you'll find Annals of Gum Control: Part One. That's page 8. But if you go directly to page 10, you'll see the two basic tools for applying gum emulsion (hake brush & foam applicator), followed by detailed instructions.

That's not to say, for instance, that Richeson brushes can't do a splendid job (which I take on faith, never having tried them), among other strategies, but in my experience with literally hundreds of space cadet undergraduates (most of them dragged kicking and screaming into a required course before "alt" was cool), not to mention my own panicked self-ed in emergency mode starting from zero, these are the basic tools -- excellent and very forgiving... also cheap and readily available.

Not to mention very forgiving.

As I recall, someone suggested skip the size (?). All my own tests showed that's NOT a good strategy. Unless you're applying size as thick as linoleum, odds are it won't solve the problem, and in case you need a second coat, not to mention a 3rd or 4th, you'll be in big trouble. Even if you skip a pre-shrink, wetting the paper raises the nap and washes off whatever surface size the manufacturer has applied -- that is, odds are you'll get serious staining with subsequent coats...

Page 13 by the way shows variations of "bad" and "good" coating technique. Among other basics rarely mentioned.

PS. My own limited tests with alcohol added showed it's a crock.

Judy