U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: The Fresson/Arvel Process

Re: The Fresson/Arvel Process

First, the Fresson's have guarded their process very well and very little factual information is available.

However, I visited the Atelier Fresson in 2003 and one area of the workshop they freely shared was the development area.  They employ a sawdust slurry for development without the use of Javelle (which would have been very evident by its distinctive odor).  You can also view the Fresson Video which is available at the Roland Collection web site which clearly shows the use of a sawdust slurry.  Furthermore, the pre WWII sale of their printing paper included instructions which made use of two brief water soakings at different temperatures followed by the use of a sawdust slurry.  Their prescribed development is what I use on my paper.

If Dick Sullivan is out there, he has also toured the Fresson workshop and may be able to provide another knowledgeable opinion.

In 2004 Judy Seigel published several articles on the Fresson Process in Issue (? . . . I am out of town) of Post-Factory Photography which would be a worthwhile read.

In my own testing on my paper I did not care for the bleach technique or result.  The use of sawdust is superior in that it provides a great deal of localized control as well as a smoother looking tonal transition which I feel improves the aesthetics.  Also, working with even a dilute bleach solution is not exactly a lot of fun.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely, Art

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:05:07 +0000, John Grocott wrote

--
WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)