Date : 01/02/08 19:54:13
Sujet : Re: Réf. : RE: Réf. : Sury

P.S. I meant to add that to my eye, some of the lines on the Sury
portrait appear to be added by hand, particularly the line that
separates the side of the face/jaw from the background.

On Dec 31, 2007, at 9:45 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Philippe Berger"
> Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:15 PM
> Subject: Réf. : RE: Réf. : Sury
>

> Marek,
>
> The sury color is not a real tricolor, the sury color is different
> of a
> carbon Black
> The Sury Color is only a Sury Color, a process of Joseph Sury of 1924
>
> Philippe
>

>   I was not able to find a Sury patent dated 1924 but found an
> earlier one as noted in a previous post. The earlier patent is for
> three-color printing from color separation negatives using a
> combination of cyanotype for the blue image and some sort of resin,
> gum or something else not specified, for the other two colors. Sury
> distinguishes this method from an "assembled" method such as three-
> color carbon. This may not be the method being described here.
>   The sample on your web site is quite interesting. I downloaded it
> and, out of curiosity, manipulated it in Photoshop using the auto
> level or the auto-color commands. The results are about the same
> and quite interesting because they get rid of the yellow overall
> cast and bring out a great deal of subtle color which the overall
> color suppresses. I wonder what it was intended to look like.
>   I agree with Judy that it is reminscent of a style popular in the
> 1920's but, to my eye, looks much like a good pencil portrait. The
> pose and lighting are far better than most of the "pictorialist"
> stuff from that period. It is in fact a beautiful portrait of a
> quite beautiful girl and quite fascinating regardless of what
> process it may have been made with.
>
> ---
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA

__________ Information NOD32 2760 (20080102) __________

Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.

Binettes GRATUITES pour vos courriels - par IncrediMail! Cliquez ici!