U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum mixes

Re: gum mixes

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: gum mixes
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:58:45 -0600
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;bh=UJ6Xcsr69cpqsc5scO5UcCO6uAq0f0QuMU1cjcEi5kc=;b=ijDHD65zruyg1+i1XP2HmdMs5dTTaZHKTnlVgrvTLSvN+6Ug565d4CQvSj6sJmwSzGE9EsIw/fmmD7nYi18KzA5zf7QUNUGsyDfwxLQW01wD+NjqGPqKPd5Gu4CJFZ5vX9mpkYqofY9VgrRCc0ck7TuLV/FJEKMUbJKQx9Z/Rzc=

Hi Chris,

Since your keeping count, I'll chime in late, although I'm not sure
this will do much good.  I fill an olive jar a third full of Kordofan
powder (the bottle says Kordofan Gum Arabic, but in smaller print says
Acacia Senegal, so go figure...),  put in another third of water and
shake it up.  The next day I dump in more gum, shake more and just
keep adding gum until the frothy head stays at about a cm and the jar
is over half full. (Next time maybe I'll weigh it all out).  Preserve
with thymol.  At emulsion time I use one part of this "pretty
saturated" gum solution to one part of saturated Potassium Dichromate
along with whatever amount of dry pigment is appropriate and coat this
onto substrate that have I've misted thoroughly with a spray bottle
and brush - so the emulsion gets diluted at the coating stage.  Seems
to work.  I promise that by the time I write MY book, I'll reduce this
to something a tad more easier to follow.

Keith