U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum mixes

Re: gum mixes

Chris,

I'll throw my hat in the ring:

Gum is ~30% solution that I make from the very fine powdered gum arabic
sold by B&S. Preserved with ~3 ml 1% sodium benzoate per liter.

Generally, I mix the gum 1:1 with saturated ammonium dichromate. For
shorter scale, I decrease the volume of dichromate or switch to potassium
dichromate.

I expose with a UV-tube box. Exposures vary widely depending on the neg,
which color(s), which layers, etc.

I coat with foam roller brushes.

My gum work is (almost) always 1, 2 or 3 layers on top of a pt/pd print.  I
use the same neg for the pt/pd as for the gum layers.

Kerik
http://www.kerik.com