Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: ultramarine blue

Yes! I thought I was just crazy, but glad to know it's not just me.

-Jeremy Moore-

On Jan 4, 2008 10:46 AM, Christina Z. Anderson <zphoto@montana.net > wrote:
Anyone using ultramarine blue in gum printing notice this, that a sulfur
smell is given off when mixing it in the coating solution?  I did, thought I
was being overly sensitive, but noticed that Sarah Van Keuren and Rudi
Dietrich said the same.  This doesn't mean it doesn't work--it works fine in
gum, but it's just stinky...If ultramarine is sodium aluminum sulfosilicate,
is  it possible, chemists on the list, that the acidity of the gum would be
responsible for releasing this smell? I do have a hyper sensitive nose, I
have been told.
Chris
PS I am working on the "certain pigments don't work" section...that is
fascinating.
Christina Z. Anderson
Assistant Professor
Photo Option Coordinator