U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Clearing cyanotypes, minimizing bleeding into highlights

Re: Clearing cyanotypes, minimizing bleeding into highlights

> Cyanotype is very paper sensitive. Is the Crane's Diploma Parchment
> the same as Cranes Weston? If so, it's one of the more fool proof
> papers to use.

I hate not being complete in an e-mail:-) Yes, full name seems to
be:

   Crane's Weston Diploma Parchment
   (which is very nicely described here
    http://www.crane.com/business/M03_S06.html)

> For exposure, I would cover a part of the coating with a piece of
> opaque paper, to insure it receives no exposure. That part would
> should be perfectly clear of blue after 'development'.

I will do that tonight.

> Adding a little acid to the water is a good idea. However, in your
> case I would try skipping the acid and see if your water needed it,
> and to see if that's the cause for your staining.

I will try that too - and get a Ph checker in the meantime.

> Yes, Mark was correct. I leave the print float up-side-down for 5 to
> 10 minutes. Then I would give it a gently rinse and hang up to dry.

So you float - no water change - just in a tray - say nearly
full with water.

Do you then lift paper out, dump (blue) water, and wash in
clear water tray?

> But running water over the print the whole time wouldn't be a
> problem, except in some cases it could get rid of some highlight
> densities.

I'm worried the running water is "smearing" the Prussian Blue?

Do you brush coat or rod coat?

> With the right paper, the whole process is very simple and quick. You
> definitely don't need to watch movies in order to wait for it to dry!

I still like to watch movies though!