From: Judy Seigel [mailto:jseigel@panix.com]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 11:53 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Van Dyke question(s)

A friend has a commission for a series of prints in Van Dyke Brown, which
she loves... but my experience with a beautiful VDB given to me by someone
else and left out in normal living-room light (fluorescent, however) is
that it faded noticeably -- in about 10 years. Though meanwhile I have a
VDB on glass by Galina that's been hanging in a window for several years
and shows no change at all... I figure, however, that it must have been
toned.

So I told her that:

1. The prints wouldn't be archival unless they were toned, and,

2. Gold toning wouldn't seriously change the color (which was much of the
appeal).

But then I thought, it's at least 10 years -- maybe more -- since I gold
toned a VDB.  Do I *really* remember the color? So I said, I'll ask The
List... "they'll know."

I'm also going to give her Liam's wonderful article about "Make your own
gold chloride" from P-F, though she said she doesn't have any gold teeth
or old wedding rings tucked away. (Possibly a gold coin or two, tho my
guess would be that the coin is worth more than the equivalent amount of
gold dust would cost.)

Anyway, comments on toning VDB for archivality, et al., would be much
appreciated...  (I also toned VDB with palladium toner, which gave a rich
deep black, but this quest is for the beautiful VDB brown.  Would selenium
work?  Can you still get selenium?)

TIA,

Judy