U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: vernis soehnee (check Doerner!!!!)

Re: vernis soehnee (check Doerner!!!!)

At the time I first found Demachy's mention of the Vernis Soehnee, at least 10 years ago (before my first Post-Factory, dated 1998), I asked colleagues in France via the list, but also offlist, and friends travelling in France to check to see if it was still known and/or for sale. This drew a blank.

Over the years I've asked again, and been helped --greatly-- by Gene Robkin from this list, who, in addition to his own interest, had an unusually obliging university librarian who conducted many searches and exchanges of literature, books, references, etc. None found either the varnish or the formula, although Gene found some interesting history of the Soehnee family, and sent me an adorable antique stopper bottle from (I think) the perfume, which is in fact beside me at the computer as I write.

Meanwhile, I have some 20 books on artists' processes & materials, and found a reference in one of them -- but nothing beyond the info (which we already knew) that it was soluble in alcohol and was a "resin."

Then, within the last month or so, while looking through Doerner for something else [that's "The materials of the Artist and Their Use in Painting with Notes on the Techniques of the Old Masters" by Max Doerner -- as I have often mentioned, a good book not quite translated from the German, a terrific help when, soon after graduating from Cooper Union, where we were all so artistic we sneered at technique, I realized I wanted to really PAINT and my page of scribbled notes from a semester of "materials & methods" course was useless) I came across a more complete -- tho no way adequate description:

See pages 204 and 205 of Doerner's "Revised Edition." With apologies to Gene for not sending this on to him immediately (but thanks to him for suggesting research in varnishes -- this was that chapter) I note my procrastination T-shirt -- but more to the point, that stuff, including all the paperwork you've neglected, grows in the dark and I've been so swamped with catching up after the years off for "Read My T-shirt" [if any of you haven't already, please see www.frontand backpress.com and contact me for bargain pre-election price !] that I'm just mow fully picking up where I left off... (It's wonderful -- I get to tear up -- that's pronounced "tare up" not the crying kind) so much, but the rest is pure genius.)

Of course it's not beyond the realm of possibility that my inquiries showing great demand have stirred re-production of the product, but at the time I could get no word... Except the best advice of the field at large was "probably a shellac of some kind"... I consulted with wood finishing experts, and tried a white shellac from Kremer, which was not it... tho I have some notes of others to try. Meanwhile, as Mae West put it: "So many formulas, so little time !"

But an IMPORTANT caveat: Demachy's size was starch, not gelatin, and I understand that shellac et al do not work the same on both and not at all on gelatin... Which could be why my various trials didn't work. Not the wrong formula, but the wrong paper.

Judy