U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: interesting gum pigment factoid

RE: interesting gum pigment factoid

There is another pigment in the same family, pyrrole orange, PO73. Daniel Smith sells it. It has very similar feel to it. Very strong, orange pigment. When mixed with green or blue it gives an infinite number or earh colors. I have been experimenting with it for monochrome prints. Nice alternative to traditional siennas, umbers, earth greens, etc. It might be an interesting choice for off balance tri-color prints.
Marek

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:12:08 -0700
> From: zphoto@montana.net
> Subject: interesting gum pigment factoid
> To: alt-photo-process-L@usask.ca
>
> If anyone is not following the Matter Pollock debate (some old paintings
> were found and thought to be Pollock's; some high up schmucky mucks agreed
> they were but through scientific evidence this is now in question even
> though the paintings appear to have been corrected in a certain way only
> known by Pollock himself, etc.etc.) it is interesting to mention that a
> pigment is responsible for questioning the authenticity of the works. PR
> 254, that you can buy as Daniel Smith Pyrrole Red or W and N Winsor Red is
> contained in a bunch of the paintings and that pigment was not discovered
> until 1974. Article appears in Feb 2008 ARTnews.
>
> The interesting thing for gummists is the pigment is none other than Ferrari
> Red, used by Ferrari because it didnt "fade or chalk". It is a gorgeous
> red, btw, if you want to soup up your gums with something more brilliant and
> orangey instead of the magenta usually used in tricolor. So if you want to
> make a gum print of a Ferrari, you now know the pigment!
>
> All the more reason to label your gum prints with pigment numbers!
> Chris
>

> Christina Z. Anderson
> Assistant Professor
> Photo Option Coordinator
> Montana State University
> CZAphotography.com

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailŪ-get your "fix". Check it out.