To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: My first platinum-palladium over gold leaf prints

Dan,

Your work in gold leaf is beautiful and a great
application of Platinum/Palladium printing.

Please let me know  about the workshops that will
include the process.

Regards,

Steve

--- Dan Burkholder <fdanb@aol.com> wrote:

This evening I finally photographed the first group
of platinum/
palladium over gold leaf prints. I've printed more
than the nine on
this site but these are the most successful to date.
After doing a lot
of inkjet printing over the past couple years, it
felt very refreshing
to be involved with handmade processes once again.
In some way, this
work is almost a rebellion to the direction most
photography is
taking. The prints are small (4"x6" up to
5.5"x8.5"), unlike the trend
to giantism that the medium is experiencing. I also
wanted to make
prints with a look and feel unlike anything we can
produce with an
inkjet printer.

I started testing different vellums and sizes in
December and am
starting to get a feel for what works and what
doesn't. The harder
issue (for me at least) is learning what type of
images work well in
this combination and which don't. It's like all of
photography; the
"why's" are always more difficult than the "how's."

The images themselves are a mix of old and new,
taking some years-old
images that are favorites along with new work from
our new home in
upstate New York and exploring the print impact with
the gold. The
"Flatiron in Spring, New York" image is my first
effort at bimetal
gilding. The Flatiron is in palladium leaf and the
rest of the print
is in 24K gold. I'm eager to do more of this Au/Pd
leafing. I gotta
admit that there's something fun about making prints
in which the
final image is comprised of three precious metals,
all of which are
completely insensitive to light. ;^)

I will be out of pocket for a couple of days and
won't be able to
reply very promptly to questions or comments.

Thanks for looking here:

www.DanBurkholder.com/gold

Dan

info@DanBurkholder.com