From: Judy Seigel [mailto:jseigel@panix.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:33 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: Vandyke Question

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, joachim oppenheimer wrote:

> ... I would
> expect that, for the water to be the problem it would have to be so
grossly
> contaminated that you would smell it down the corridor.

Whatever the ultimate problem (or problems) may be, and whether or not
Scott manages to pinpoint them, I can ASSURE you that the above sentence
is 100% wrong (tho if you're talking bets, I never bet less than a million
dollars).

The episode I mention was some years ago, but it was so startling it's
etched well in mind. We'd already done VDB with no problem, then had to
mix more. When we combined the solutions the silver precipitated out.
Instantly, dramatically. The only change from the previous operation was a
new gallon of "distilled" water, bought at the neighborhood hardware store
where we'd bought it before... a sealed jug, official "distilled" label,
etc.

It was odorless, colorless, and utterly did I say odorless? You wouldn't
have hesitated to drink it. But with suspicions thus aroused, I brought it
to the chem department, which tested and found it to be tap water.  Tap
water from where, I have no idea... but there was NOTHING patently
noxious. The shock was getting it from our friendly neighborhood hardware
store, but we figured the culprit was a rogue supplier. We got the next
gallon from the supermarket and all was fine (tho a longer walk).

PS.  I have as it happens done some testing of distilled vs. tap water in
processes involving commercial photo paper, such as toning and bleaching.
Also long ago, and less dramatic so not perfectly recalled. However, there
were often distinct differences, often the tap water had better results...
we figured the impurities from the NYC sewer system gave it an added
complexity, like wine.

Judy