U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Vandyke Question

Re: Vandyke Question

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Vandyke Question
  • From: Barbara Izzo <bi3@georgetown.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:46:18 -0500

Several people have suggested that the Ferric Ammonium Citrate may have gone bad and caused the problem being discussed.  Judy said she threw out some because it had hardened.  The first Ferric Ammonium Citrate I used (first for cyanotype but later for VD) was a solid mass in the bottom of an old glass jar that had been in my father's darkroom for at least half a century.  I chipped it out a little at a time with a hammer and chisel.  It worked fine.  I was surprised when I bought some new and found it was a powder.

Suzanne Izzo