U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: possible answer to archivalness comparison between carbon gum andp

RE: possible answer to archivalness comparison between carbon gum andpt/pd

Reilly ran a workshop in Pittsburgh for archivists  and my college sent me so I was fortunate in being able
ask him questions in person. He has done an enormous amount of  scientific research on the archivalness
of all kinds of photographic images and the proper way to store them. I was impressed by the depth
of his knowledge. I actually asked him the question as to what kind of prints were the most archival,
i.e. longest lasting. What he said was essentially what is printed in his book about carbon, gum and
platinum but he also said that proper fixing and especially washing were essential. I asked him what
factors were most important in terms of preserving a photographic image. He said that the most
important was relative humidity (40 - 50%). Second was minimum exposure to light, especially
UV light.  So the answer to which process is most archival depends to some extent on if the printer
properly fixed and washed the print and then under what conditions it was stored.

A lot of references suggest that platinum prints are the most archival, but I believe that gum prints are
equal, if not better, than platinum at least as black and white images. However, I do think that platinum
prints have a greater tonal range. In terms of color, I believe thatgum prints are the most archival but not,
of course, as long lasting as black and white, However, might mention than when I visited the Societe de
Francais Photographie in Paris I was allowed,as a member, to view some prints in their collection. There
I saw some gum prints in color by Demachy that were to die for, that showed no evidence of fading.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at: http://www.SchrammStudio.com